Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dogs don't get TB

What do babies crying, barking dogs and gunshots have in common?
They are things I am frequently awakened by in the middle of the night! Don’t worry the guns are not a threat. Think looney tunes a la Yosemite Sam’s wild west versus bombs over Baghdad and you have a good idea of the situation here. Practically everyone owns a gun and employs it as a sort of party favor whistle. I am only mentioning this out of annoyance from sleep deprivation. And because I am missing 'my solitude of Brooklyn'.

One very cool albeit unexpected thing I discovered is a bowling alley. This is one thing I never thought I would find walking along the boardwalk on the Black Sea in the Republic of Abkhazia. Actually, I never imagined that I would be walking along the boardwalk on the Black Sea in the Republic of Abkhazia.

Related to work: The Ministry of Internal Affairs has given the green light to ‘make education’ in the prison. There are some serious misconceptions about TB here.
Since October I have been having a support group weekly in the hospital and monthly at one of our ambulatory points.

Here is an excerpt of a few things I have heard:

“Dogs can’t get TB so is it true that if I eat a dog I can be cured of TB?”

“I heard that if you take a newborn puppy and feed it only fresh cows milk for several weeks then cook it and eat it, you will be cured. Is that true?”

“No, that’s not true. Monkeys don’t get AIDS but you don’t see people eating them to cure them of AIDS do you?”

“Anyway, if that were true I’d been cured years ago cause I’ve eaten 2 dogs already and I’m still sick”

“If UV light kills the bacilli then why don’t they just cut your chest open and lay you out in the sun to cure you?”

“Or cut your chest open and pour benzene on your lungs to kill it?”

These are a few things that I have heard.
Very uninformed indeed.

So far, there is not much discussion about the upcoming presidential election set for December 12. I think no news is good news.

1 comment:

  1. Do I still need to send you my bullet proof vest????? Just remember... What goes up must come down.....

    Glad to hear you are ok! Miss you!

    -J

    Oh.... and an update for you!
    http://skyeowens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete